The Firm represents a wide variety of health care providers, including physicians, home health agencies, clinical laboratories, dialysis centers and federally qualified health centers. The Firm provides the following services to our health care clients:
Fraud and Abuse Compliance and Defense
Civil Monetary Penalty
Private Payor Audits
Healthcare Corporate and Transactions Law
HIPAA Counseling and Defense
Labor and Employment
Medicare Enrollment and Revocations
Regulatory Counseling and Advocacy
Representative Healthcare Matters:
- Assisted clinical laboratory in remodeling sales employment agreements and compensation plan to comply with the EKRA Employment Exception.
- Represented physician practice in successful appeal of insurance company's denial of in-office laboratory claims
- Represented clinical laboratory in negotiations with OIG for alleged CMP violations resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented large physician organization in EEOC investigation of alleged ADA violation resulting in dismissal by EEOC.
- Represented physician in investigation by the Georgia Composite Medical Board of a patient complaint resulting in dismissal by the Board.
- Advised behavioral health clinic in nationwide roll-out of telemedicine services to FQHCs/RHCs and employer-run clinics.
- Developed compliance plan for clinical laboratory.
- Represented state Primary Care Association in developing policy for involuntary commitments.
- Represented large specialty practice in obtaining medical staff privileges subsequent to a multi-campus hospital after hospital refused to open up specialty applications.
- Represented seller in a $4,000,000 disposition of assisted living community, including negotiation of the purchase and sale agreement.
- Represented a hospital management company in the acquisition of multiple critical access hospitals out of bankruptcy.
- Developed compliance plan for multi-location dialysis company.
- Represented physician as a creditor in former practice group's bankruptcy and related litigation with physician's former partners.
- Represented a hospital management company in negotiation of interim management services agreement for a critical access hospital in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy proceeding.
- Successful negotiation of settlement with state Medicaid Fraud Control Unit regarding alleged false claims from physician practice.
- Obtained letter of exemption from CON review for replacement of surgical equipment in surgery center.
- Represented a physician practice in connection with a $11,000,000 joint venture with a publicly traded dialysis company.
- Advised a health system in connection with the divestiture of a home health agency, including negotiation of all deal documents.
- Represented multiple non-profit health systems in litigation matters, including reimbursement disputes and employment disputes.
- Represented several health care providers in commercial and employment litigation.
- Negotiated hundreds of employment, shareholder, professional service agreements and service agreements for health care providers and health care systems.
- Advised major health care network in wind down and dissolution matters.
- Advised multiple clients on DNV and Joint Commission matters.
- Advised multiple clients on HIPAA and HiTech compliance, including risk assessment, business associate agreements, policy development and personnel training.
- Advised multiple healthcare providers on Anti-trust, Fraud and Abuse and compliance matters.
- Represented Federally Qualified Health Centers, Independent Physician Associations, and Physician Hospital Organizations in formation of five (5) Accountable Care Organizations.
- Advised health care providers on collaborations with Accountable Care Organizations.
- Represented multiple health care providers in negotiation of real estate and equipment leases and purchase agreements.
- Advised Independent Physician Organizations and Physician Hospital Organizations on Anti-trust matters, including clinical integration and messenger models.
- Formation of clinically integrated health network.
- Development of governing documents for Independent Physician Organizations and Physician Hospital Organizations.
The Firm's principal, Adam Walters, is the co-author of the Certificate of Need Chapter in the Georgia Hospital Association's Hospital Law Manual and has been published in multiple American Health Lawyers Association publications. He currently serves as Vice-Chair - Publications for the Physicians' Organizations Practice Group of the American Health Law Association. He is also asked to speak to physicians and practice manager organizations about health care matters.